Smith onderscheidt daarbij de volgende 7 bouwstenen voor het sociale web:
- Identity: a way of uniquely identifying people in the system.
- Presence: a way of knowing who is online, available or otherwise nearby.
- Relationships: a way of describing how two users in the system are related (e.g. in Flickr, people can be contacts, friends of family).
- Conversations: a way of talking to other people through the system.
- Groups: a way of forming communities of interest.
- Reputation: a way of knowing the status of other people in the system (who’s a good citizen? who can be trusted?).
- Sharing: a way of sharing things that are meaningful to participants (like photos or videos).