Update Gartner Hype Cycle 2010
Ieder jaar komt Gartner met een update van haar Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies (zie ook: Understanding Gartner’s Hype Cycles) waarin het de stand van zaken schetst vwb technologische ontwikkelingen zoals blogs, social networks, mobile internet, etc. Vorige week verscheen Gartner’s Hype Cycle Special Report for 2010 (incl. Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2010) waarin Gartner de stand van zaken voor 2010 schetst. Daarbij worden de volgende sleutel-technologieën geidentificeerd:
- User experience and interaction. New styles of user interaction will drive new usage patterns, giving organizations opportunities to innovate how information and transactions are delivered to customers and employees. This includes devices such as media tablets and 3D flat-panel TVs and displays, and interaction styles such as gesture recognition and tangible user interfaces.
- Augmented reality, context and the real-world Web. The migration of the Web phenomenon — and technology in general — beyond the desktop and into the context of people’s everyday lives is creating new opportunities for personalized and contextually aware information access. Augmented reality is a hot topic in the mobile space, with platforms and services on iPhone and Android platforms, and it represents the next generation as location-aware applications move toward the plateau. Other elements such as 4G standard, sensor networks (mesh networks: sensor) and context delivery architecture are evolving more slowly, but they will play a key role in expanding the impact of IT in the physical world.
- Data-driven decisions. The quantity and variety of digital data continue to explode, along with the opportunities to analyze and gain insight from new sources such as location information and social media. The techniques themselves, such as predictive analytics, are relatively well established in many cases; the value resides in applying them in new applications such as social analytics and sentiment analysis.
- Cloud-computing implications. The adoption and impact of cloud computing continue to expand. The separate “Hype Cycle for Cloud Computing, 2010” shows a dense mass of activity rising up to the Peak of Inflated Expectations. On this Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, we feature cloud computing overall just topping the peak, and private cloud computing still rising. Both are of intense interest among organizations that would like to take advantage of the scalability of cloud computing, while potentially addressing some of the security and other issues associated with public cloud computing. Cloud/Web platforms are featured, along with mobile application stores, to acknowledge the growing interest in platforms for application development and delivery.
- Value from the periphery. A number of technologies, such as mobile robots and 3D printing, are not yet widely used, but they can already provide significant value when used appropriately.
Meer toelichting is te vinden in Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2010 (helaas alleen voor abonnees van Gartner).