Over 190 Million Net Users in Europe This Year
In its latest report, Europe Online: Access, Demographics & Usage, eMarketer estimates that the number of Internet users in Europe will climb to 196.2 million by the end of this year. Particularly in Eastern Europe, the total will grow from 41.2 million in 2003 to 62 million in 2006.
“In Western Europe, growth rates seem to be slowing, calling into question whether we’ll ever see as high a penetration there as we see in the US,” says eMarketer Senior Analyst Ross Rubin. “Still, 83% of Internet users report going online at least once a week.”
Key findings from the Europe Online report include:
– Internet access spending will increase by a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.8% in Western Europe from 2002 to 2006, compared with 18.1% in Eastern Europe
– 46% of men and 36% of women have home internet access
85% of 15 to 24 year olds in the EU use the internet, compared with 21% of the 55+ demographic
– Italy leads Europe in mobile phone subscribers per 100 inhabitants (83.9), nearly doubling Europe’s average (43.8)
– While mobile voice services revenues will remain constant from 2002 to 2005, data revenues will jump from EUR15.4 billion to EUR27.3 billion over that span
– The Netherlands and Sweden lead Europe in broadband penetration at over 11%, followed by Germany, Spain, France and the UK; DSL continues to far outpace cable penetration.
Bron: Emarketer 27 februari 2003