Onderzoek Synovate: Young Adults Revealed 2008
Synovate lanceert vandaag de ‘top line findings’ van een onderzoek naar grote merken wereldwijd. Het onderzoek, Young Adults Revealed 2008, werd gehouden in 26 verschillende markten onder jongeren tussen de 18 en 24 jaar (zie ook: MarketResearchWorld)
Uit het persbericht: ‘The survey asked the 12, 603 respondents to quote the first three brands that came to mind as being ‘truly excellent.’ Dit ‘truly excellent’ betekent in de context van dit onderzoek: ‘credible, cool and having a strong identity.’ Wereldwijd gezien is Nike het beste merk. Tweede is Adidas, gevolgd door Sony/Playstation, Nokia, CocaCola, Apple/Mac/iPod, Puma, Samsung, Levi’s en BMW.
Uiteraard treden er verschillen op naar regio en werelddeel. Maar eerst de top 23:
Uit het persbericht: ‘However it is interesting to note that there are of course variations between individual countries. For one, although 30% of South Africans and a quarter of Moroccans, Italians and Spanish cited Nike as one of their three favourite brands, only 5% of Russians voted the same.’
Adidas is het meest populair in Marokko (28 procent) en Turkije (24 procent). Dat kan niet gezegd worden over Zweden, Rusland en China: 5 procent van de Zweden en Russen hadden Adidas op nummer 1 staan, 6 procent van de Chinezen stemde hetzelfde.
Chinezen en Japanners houden niet van CocaCola (of juist heel erg van andere merken, dat is altijd het gevaar). Slechts 1 procent van de Japanners zette CocaCola op nummer 1, slechts 3 procent deed dat in China.
Julian Rolfe, Global Manager, Young Adults Revealed zegt: ‘It is interesting to see that best brands varied somewhat amongst individual countries. Also between males and females, males (21%) were particularly keen on Nike as well as most of the leading brands while females tend to favour clothing brands like Zara, H&M as well as toiletries like Nivea and Dove. The top ten generally is dominated by clothing and technology brands while soft drinks giant Coca Cola and car brands BMW, Mercedes and Audi make a grand appearance.’
Word of mouth
Nokia doet het wat word of mouth betreft het best. Althans, volgens het onderzoek zegt 89 procent van de respondenten te geloven dat hun vrienden vaak en op een positieve manier over Nokia praten. Uit het persbericht: ‘The media often tells us that 18-24s like to feel like they’ve ‘discovered ’brands and that they are resistant to big brands. However this study would seem to disprove that theory, and in fact, 18-24s are very receptive to big brands.’
Merken naar categorie
- Alcohol: ‘Smirnoff is the most drunk alcohol brand globally-particularly with females (9%). Absolut and Bacardi also rate as prominent spirits.’
- Bier: ‘The number one lager is shared between Heineken, Tuborg and Efes (a Turkish brewed beer).’
- Meest gebruikte bank: ‘HSBC with strong presence in the UK, Mexico and Turkey.
- Favoriete sigaret: Marlboro
- Populairste kledingmerk: ‘Nike is the most worn clothing brand, with particular support in China, Romania and Italy.’
- Vrouwen 18-24: ‘H&M and Zara score as the top brands amongst females. H&M is especially massive in Sweden, Norway and Germany where else Zara is particularly popular in Morocco, Spain, Greece and Portugal.’
- Fastfood:: ‘McDonalds is clearly the favourite brand among 18-24s globally. This is particularly in Italy (80%) and France (76%).’
- Telefoonnetwerk:: ‘Vodafone is the clear winner in this category. This may be due to their presence in many countries particularly strong in New Zealand (53%) and Portugal (48%).’
- Parfum: ‘The votes on the perfumes category is split but 8% of males wear Hugo Boss making them the top brand. 4% of females wear Avon while both genders wear Calvin Klein.’
- Radio: ‘Radio 1/1 Live is the most popular radio station globally due to its ‘listenership’ in the UK, Germany, Bulgaria and Norway.’
- Retail: ‘Wal-Mart figures prominently in the US, Canada, Mexico and China while Carrefour features most in France, Brazil and China.’
- Snacks: ‘Cadbury, Lays and Milka are rated top snacks amongst 18-24s in terms of the most frequent consumption.’
- Frisdrank: ‘Coca Cola dominates the soft drink category globally and is particularly strong in Brazil where 79% cited it. Only in Egypt is Pepsi the preferred choice, outweighing Coca Cola.’
- Nummer 1 technologiemerk: ‘Apple is the most used technology brand with Sony just behind it. Apple has the highest usage in the UK while Brazilians are especially into Sony. Interesting to see that Nokia fell just short of the top 10 despite it being voted the third best brand overall.’
- Toiletartikelen: ‘Nivea is voted the biggest toiletries brand. Almost a quarter of Portuguese voted for Nivea while Mexicans and New Zealanders are the highest users of Colgate toothpaste. More males than females cited Nivea while more females cited Dove, Avon and L’Oreal.’
- Meest gebruikte website: ‘Google is clearly by far the most used website. This is particular noted in Spain, Portugal and Mexico. Facebook is popular among females in Norway and the UL while yahoo is very big in Japan.’